Stacked white chicken enchilada casserole where the tortillas act like lasagna noodles! No need to fill and fold each tortilla separately when you can just make an easy enchilada casserole instead! These are loaded with chicken, black beans, and corn – oh and the white sauce gonna make you want to make these EVERY week!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated onions, (measure 1/3 cup then squeeze out water)
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch Mexican oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) cream cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas (I used a carb balanced kind), cut into 2-inch thick strips (see note)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese (use Monterey jack for milder flavor)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the grated onions and let cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until just translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Allow the flour to cook for 1 minutes or until lightly brown, stir frequently. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and continue to whisk until all lumps have been worked out. Add the remaining chicken stock along with the oregano, red pepper flakes, cumin, and diced green chilies. Whisk to combine everything. Allow the sauce to simmer and then let it cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the greek yogurt, cream cheese and season to taste. Continue to whisk until the cream cheese mixes in completely. Remove from heat, set aside.
- To assemble the enchilada casserole, place 4 tortilla strips in the baking pan, spread out about 1/3 of the white cream sauce on top. Sprinkle half of the shredded chicken, half of the black beans, and half of the corn on top. Follow with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat the a second layer of tortillas, followed by white sauce, chicken, black beans, corn, and cheese. Then for the final layer, add the remaining tortillas, the remaining cream sauce, and the cheese.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil after 20 minutes and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just starts to bubble and brown. Top with the diced avocados and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- You may need additional 1-2 tortillas to cover your casserole completely. [br]–[br]© Copyright. All images & content are the sole property of Little Spice Jar. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.