A vegetarian take on traditional “pigs in a blanket” this clever recipe uses carrots instead of hot dogs for a healther bite. Insead of vegan puff pastry as the recipe suggests, you could probably use regular puff pastry dough and even oven roast the carrots instead of frying to make this delightful dish even healthier.
Ingredients:about 24 pies
- 12 medium carrots
- 17 1/3 oz / 500 g frozen vegan puff pastry
- handful of fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for pan-frying
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and put it in a regular fridge at least a couple of hours before baking.
- Wash the carrots, cut them in half and boil them until soft. Drain and let them cool.
- Now peel them and cook them on a pan in hot oil (not deep-frying, just regular pan-frying) until golden brown.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste. I fried the carrots in two batches, since there were many. Mix the carrots with chopped fresh dill.
- Pre-heat the oven to 430 F / 220 C.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface. Cut out 24 squares and roll a carrot into every square.
- Cover the baking tray with a parchment paper and put the pies on it.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 430 F / 220 C.
- Serve as a snack or with soup.