Simple and delicious, these baked cheesy zucchini bites are so easy to make and are a healthier alternative to a classic fried zucchini fritter!
- 1 1/2 cups (7.5 ounces) packed shredded zucchini (no need to peel zucchini)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (1 to 2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese or a blend of cheddar and Monterey jack
- 1/4 cup (.75 ounce) panko or regular bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil (or 1-2 teaspoons fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray or lightly grease an unlined baking sheet.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out all the excess water over the sink until the zucchini is really dry. You should have a little over 1 cup after squeezing out the water (if you have a scale, you'll want about 6 ounces of zucchini that's been squeezed dry).
- Place the zucchini and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Drop the mixture by tablespoonfuls on the prepared baking sheet and lightly press the mounds with your hands to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until the edges are golden.